Useful information about the Czech Republic
Here you can find some practical information about the Czech Republic
Entry & Roaming
- The Czech Republic has been a member of the EU since 2004
- The Czech Republic has been a member of the Schengen area since 2007.
- There are no border controls for EU citizens
- There are no roaming charges within the EU since 2017
- Since 2019 telephone calls may only cost a maximum of 19 cents per minute.
- The international country code for the Czech Republic is +420 or 00420.
Further information on entering the Czech Republic can be found here.
Currency & Exchange Rate
- The Czech Republic has its own currency, the Czech Crown (Kč or CZK).
- The exchange rate is usually about 1 to 25 (1€ = 25Kč).
- The current exchange rate can be found here.
- You can exchange your money in a bank or exchange office or
- withdraw money at one of the 5.500 ATMs in the country
- You can pay almost anywhere in the Czech Republic with an international money or credit card (e.g. VISA or Mastercard).
Gasoline & diesel price
- The prices for petrol and diesel in the Czech Republic are usually slightly lower than in Germany.
- The current petrol prices can be found here.
- The current diesel prices can be found here.
Speed limit in the Czech Republic
- in localities the maximum speed is 50 km/h
for vehicles up to 3.5 t and buses over 3.5 t the following maximum speeds apply:
- 90 km/h on roads
- 110 km/h on expressways
- 130 km/h on motorways
for vehicles over 3.5 t, the maximum speed is 80 km/h.
In the Czech Republic there is a strict alcohol ban (0.0 per thousand) while driving.
Vignette & motorway toll
- In the Czech Republic, motorways and some expressways are subject to tolls.
- To use the Czech motorway you need an e-vignette, which could be purschased here
- A 10 day vignette for a car up to 3,5 t costs 310 CZK (ca. 12,20€)
- A 1 year vignette for a car up to 3,5 t costs 1.500 CZK (ca. 60€)
- Electronic tolls are required for vehicles over 3.5 t in weight
You can find more information about the toll stickers and the motorway toll here.
Publication date 27.10.2019 Last updated date: 26.2.2021